April 3, 2013

Why I chose the Fuji X-E1 over the Fuji X100s

The Fuji X100s started shipping out to customers before I bought my Fuji X-E1. Despite the good reviews that the Fuji X100s was getting because of its improvements over the "previous generation" Fuji X series cameras, I still opted for the Fuji X-E1. These are the reasons why:

Lens Interchangeability of the Fuji X-E1

The primary reason I chose the Fuji X-E1 over the Fuji X100s is because of its ability to use different lenses. My overall goal when I bought into the Fuji X system was to eventually have it replace my Canon system and the Fuji X100s was just too limited for that. I knew that I needed a wide angle lens so the option to be able to change lenses was a must.

Microphone input on the Fuji X-E1

The Fuji X-E1 has a feature that neither the Fuji X-Pro1 or the Fuji X100s has: A 2.5mm jack input. This 2.5mm input on the Fuji X-E1 allows me to plug in an external microphone when I'm recording video. Fuji X cameras aren't known to have good video, but they're certainly not bad. The 2.5mm input is one of those features that brings me closer to being able to let go of my Canon kit.

UPDATE: Apparently, the new Fuji X100s can support external microphones.
Black Color of the Fuji X-E1

This is may sound a little shallow but I really wanted a black camera. The Fuji X100s wasn't announced with the option to get it in black so it was a no go for me. I don't mind the silver but I guess it ultimately came down to all of the other reasons why I chose the Fuji X-E1 over the Fuji X100s... And black is sexy. It's a shame that they didn't release a black version of the X100s. Fuji would have probably sold a lot more units. However, knowing Fuji, they're probably going to announce a "special limited edition" black version in the future for a couple of hundred buck more than the standard version.

Image Stabilization on the Fuji X-aE1 (For Video)

The Fuji X-E1 itself does not have image stabilization, but certain Fuji XF lenses do. I'm eagerly awaiting the Fuji XF 10-24mm lens with image stabilization for my wide angle needs as well as video usage. The Fuji X-E1 and image stabilized lenses would make for a killer portable video setup. The Fuji X100s does not have image stabilization which makes it hard to get fluid video.

Those are the 4 biggest reasons why I chose to buy the Fuji X-E1 over the Fuji X100s. The Fuji X100s is still a very tempting camera, one which I would buy if I had more money. Being able to only choose one, the Fuji X-E1 was the right choice for me.

3 comments:

  1. I wouldn't seriously think of video on X bodies to be usable at all with or without image stabilization. It has all the possible problems you can possibly get: moire, rolling shutter, jellyness etc

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't noticed significant moire at all, which I think is due to the X-Trans sensor. All your DSLRs without a universal shutter will have the rolling shutter/jelly effect (which is basically all of the DSLRS out today.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] to buy the X-E1 over the X100s despite the improvements that came with the X100s. I actually wrote a whole post explaining why but, in short, I really wanted to have the ability to change lenses so that I can completely [...]

    ReplyDelete