April 13, 2013

Fujifilm X-E1 Review


I've been shooting with the Fujifilm X-E1 for about a month now and I think it is time for me to put all of my thoughts about this camera together in a full review. This is a real world review from a guy that bought the Fuji X-E1 for his own personal photography.

Let's start of by getting the technical stuff out of the way. The Fujifilm X-E1 is Fuji's second camera in the Fuji X series of cameras with interchangeable lenses. It is very similar in many ways to it's older brother, the Fujifilm X-Pro1. The Fujifilm X-E1 features a revolutionary 16 megapixel X-Trans sensor, the same one found in the Fujifilm X-Pro1 This particular sensor is special does away with the regular Bayer pattern that is found in most camera sensors today. Because of this change, Fujifilm was able to remove the AA filter for sharper detail and still be able to keep morie to a minimum. Unlike the Fuji X-Pro1, the X-E is now housed in a much smaller and more compact camera body. The reduction of size also comes with the reduction of the a few of the key features found on the X-Pro1. The Fujifilm X-E1 does not have the hybrid optical/electronic viewfinder found on the Fujifilm X-Pro1 and X100. The Fujifilm X-E1 also lacks the 3 inch high res LCD and is instead fitted with a much smaller 2.8" rear LCD with 460k pixels. To compensate for the lack of an optical viewfinder, Fujifilm has included a very sharp 2.36M dot OLED electronic viewfinder, trumping the EVF that is used on the X-Pro1.


Fujifilm X-E1 Key specifications include: 
  • ISO 200-6400, expandable to 100 - 25600 (JPEG only)
  • 2.36M dot OLED electronic viewfinder
  • 2.8" 460k-dot LCD
  • Built-in pop-up flash
  • Full HD movie recording + built-in stereo microphone
  • 2.5mm stereo microphone socket

Fujifilm X-E1 Design and Build


One of the key selling points of the FujiFilm X series cameras is the retro design and feel that they have. It's a love it or hate it kind of thing, but I personally love the old school design and handeling of the Fuji X-E1. The cameras in the Fujifilm X series lineup all feature a manual aperture ring as well as a manual shutter speed dial. They also have an exposure compensation dial right where your thumb is placed which, on the X-E1, is tight enough so that it doesn't move out of place accidentally but smooth enough so that you can easily change it with one finder. Though these features may not seem like to big of a deal, they add a lot to the tactility of the camera and contribute to a much more enjoyable shooting experience. In a time when most cameras offer lot more than what most people actually need in terms of image quality, Fuji has done a good job at focusing on how certain aspects of a camera can really improve the shooting experience of the user.

The Fujifim X-E1 does not have the hybrid optical/electronic viewfinder that you'll find on the Fujifilm X100s and the X-Pro1 but is instead fitted with a high resolution 2.36 million dot electronic viewfinder. It was a big difference for me after shooting with the large optical viewfinder of the Canon 5D Mark II for the past 3+ years. It is a little bit uncomfortable but you get used to it pretty quickly. The EVF is crystal clear but does suffer from slight lag when you move the camera very quickly and in lower light situations.

In the back of the camera you'll find the same 2.8 inch 460K dot LCD screen that is found on the Fujifim X100s. It isn't as large and the resolution isn't as high as some of its competitors but I find it to be sufficient. I've actually used the rear LCD to compose my shots more than I thought I would. I really have really enjoyed being able to compose with the camera away from my eye to get different perspectives and hope that Fuji include a tilt-swivel screen on the next generation of Fuji X cameras.


Fujifilm X-E1 Image Quality


I was initially a little bit skeptical about FujiFilm's claims of the image quality of the X-Trans sensor being able to match that of cameras with full-frame sensors, but as soon as I started shooting with the Fujifilm X-E1, I became a believer. The 16 megapixel X-Trans sensor inside the X-E1 produces tack sharp images even when viewed up close. This is all due to the lack of an AA filter on the newly developed Fujifilm X-Trans sensor. I do wish I had a few more megapixels to work with but 16mp will satisfy most shooters.

Though the Fuji X-Trans sensor plays a huge role in delivering sharp images, the Fujinon XF lenses complete the puzzel. I have the 35mm f/1.4 and the 18mm f/2 and they are both gorgeous lenses. I'll talk more about them in a future review.

Fujifilm X-E1 ISO Performance


The Fuji X-E1 has a native ISO range of 200 to 6400 and has a lower setting of ISO 100 and a H1 and H2 setting of ISO12800 and ISO25600. The Fuji X-E1 has really changed the way I approach how I work with my settings because it is the first camera that I've used which has given me the confidence to pump up my ISO up to 6400 without worrying at all. I'm coming from a Canon 5D Mark II, an impressive high ISO monster itself, but I never had that kind of when confidence with it. The Canon 5D did well in higher ISOs, but the look of the noise in the files that were pushed above 2500 didn't look pleasing to me. The Fuji show some noise at ISO 6400 but the grain structure feels very natural and almost adds to the sharpness of the image. I've been shooting the Fujifilm X-E1 with the ISO seto to Auto 6400 and have been happy with all of my results.

One thing to note is that the H1 and H2 high ISO settings are only available to you if you're shooting In Jpeg with the X-E1. I guess Fuji has implemented this was so that they can make sure that it is their own Jpeg engine that is handeling the noise reduction and sharpening that is applied to very high ISO images in order to get acceptable files. I find that I rarely go up to ISO 6400 so it's nothing to worry about.

Fujifilm X-E1 Autofocus


I know, I know, everyone has already talked about the Fuji X-E1's sluggish autofocus. I want to give you guys my opinion on the AF speed of the X-E1 because, although it's not the quickest, I don't find it to be that slow. The Fuji X-E1 uses a contrat detection autofocusing system, a system that a lot of the earlier mirrorless cameras embraced because of the need for a mirror to perform phase detection autofocus (before sensor based phase detection was developed). The way contrast detection auto focus works is that the camera tries to lock on to a point of high contrast. The focus mechanism hunts back and fourth a few times to make sure it is in focus. The biggest reason that the Fuji X-E1 feels slow is because of that back and fourth hunting that the camera has to go though in order to make sure it is in focus. The rate in which the focus mechanism actually moves is just as quick as your DSLRs.

In good light, you'll not have a problem achieving focus. In lower light situations, you'll get more of that hunting action because dimly lit places usually have less contrast overall. I have found that the autofocus speed is also different between lesnes. I have the Fujinon XF 18mm and the Fujinon XF 35mm, and the 18mm focuses a lot quicker than the 35mm. Overall, I'm content with the autofocus of the Fujifilm X-E1. No, it won't be able to compete will a lot of DSLRs and a few m43 cameras, but it is very useable. I know that this portion of the review seems highly optimistic compared to many other reviews but just to make it clear, I'm not 100% satisfied with the AF of the Fujifilm X-E1. The autofocus is very usable  but it leaves me wanting more. The Fuji X-E1 is part of Fuji's first generation of Fuji X cameras so I have no double in my mind that we can only look forward to greater things. Now that the Fujifilm X100s is out, and has phase detection built into the sensor, I have no doubt the that next version of the Fuji X-E1 will carry this feature.

Fujifim X-E1 Speed and Operation


In terms of speed of operation, the Fujifilm X-E1 could definitely be improved. Fuji has got it right with the placement of buttons and dials, and even have the "Q" button that allows you to change your most important settings on the fly. The biggest issue that I find with the X-E1 are the slow write times when you're shooting in RAW. I've had to buy the 95Mbps Sandisk Extreme Pro card and it still take a couple of seconds to write RAW files onto the card. I think that this is due to a weaker processing engine in the X-E1. The Fuji X camera would definitely benefit from faster/multiple processing engines in the camera.

Another issue with the Fujifilm X-E1 is the short battery life. I only get around 350-450 shots on a full charge and even less when I play around with the movie mode. The X-E1 uses a lot more battery power because it always has either the EVF or the rear LCD on at all times. When shooting with the X-E1, extra batteries are a must.

How the Fuji X-E1 has changed my Photography

I can go on and on about the technical aspects of the Fujifilm X-E1 but I think that you can't really judge a camera based on the technical aspects alone. There are some cameras that just speak to you and that you want to use regardless of the megapixel count, ISO range and all of that tech mumbo jumbo. For the longest time, I wanted a camera that I wouldn't mind taking with me every where I went and that gave me the confidence and motivation to shoots. Yes, you heard it right. The Fujifilm X-E1 has given me a kind of confidence that I didn't have when carrying my Canon 5D Mark II. With the Fuji X-E1, I've been able face my fear of street photography. The X-E1 doesn't feel intimidating and doesn't get in the way of shooting.

In addition to the confidence the that Fuji X-E1 has given me, I also find that I am shooting a lot more and having a lot more fun in the process. I am not currently a professional photographer and so the enjoyment that I get from photography is very important. Sometimes I value it even more than the results that I get. The Fuji X-E1 is an extremely fun camera to use.

The Fujifilm X-E1 has allowed me to focus less on the settings and more on the experience. When I'm out shooting with the X-E1, almost all of my settings are in the automatic setting. I leave my white balance and ISO set to auto, I have my shutter speed set the an appropriate speed depending on the type of motion that I want to capture (I even have it set to auto a lot of the time) and I change my aperture depending on the depth of field I want. The handy exposure compensation dial is there when I want to tweak my exposure slightly. It's just so easy with the Fujifilm X-E1 and I love it.

Fujifilm X-E1 vs X-Pro1

I haven't been able to handle the Fujifilm X-Pro1 for a long period of time but when it came down to choosing which camera to buy, there were a few standout features and traits that the X-E1 that made me choose it over its older brother. The three biggest factors that led me to buy the Fuji X-E1 over the X-Pro1 are the smaller form factor, the better 2.36M dot EVF and the inclusion of the 2.5mm input for optional external microphones or remotes. Because of those these features, plus the fact that the Fujifilm X-E1 is a lot cheaper for essentially the same image quality and performance of the X-Pro1, the choice wasn't too hard.
Fujifilm X-E1 or X100s?

A few people have asked me why I chose to buy the X-E1 over the X100s despite the improvements that came with the X100s. I actually wrote a whole post explaining why but, in short, I really wanted to have the ability to change lenses so that I can completely replace my Canon kit as my primary kit. If you're in the market for a small, portable camera and you're choosing between the Fujifilm X100s and the Fujifilm X-E1, it all comes down to whether or not you're going to be satisfied with that fixed 23mm (35mm exqivilant) lens. If you're going to satisfied with the fixed lens, the X100s is a no brainer. Better autofocusing and the crazy high flash sync speed are my two most desired features of the Fuji X100s. If you want to see/read more about the Fujifilm X100s, I recommend taking a look at Zack Arias' full review and Bert Stephani's video review.

Fuji X-E1 Pros 

  • Lovely retro design  
  • Good build quality
  • Sharp 16 megapixel Fuji X-Trans sensor
  • Outstanding high ISO performance"Q" button is very useful
  • 2.5mm input for remotes and microphones
  • Includes a pop-up flash
  • Very detailed 2.36 million dot electronic viewfinder
  • Very accurate white balance

Fuji X-E1 Cons

  • Slow autofocus
  • Oddly placed AF button
  • Short battery life
  • Electronic viewfinder lags in certain situations
  • H1 and H2 high ISO settings are only usable in Jpeg and not in RAW
  • Write speeds are a little slow

Final Thoughts on the Fujifim X-E1 and the Fuji X System

To finish off this review, I'll try to sum up all of my thoughts on the Fujifilm X-E1, as well as my thoughts on the Fuji X system as a whole. Upon receiving the Fujifilm X-E1, there was definitely a learning curve that I had to go though. The overall feel of the camera in terms of physical handeling as well as the way it operated was so different from the DSLR experience I was used to. Now that I've learned the strengths and limitations of the X-E1, I'm very happy with it. The X-E1 is just a joy to use. The Fujifilm X-E1 has gotten me more excited about photography than I have been in a very, very long time. Despite all of it shortcomings, the portability, ergonomics and image quality have made me fall in love with the Fuji X-E1

Even more than just the X-E1 itself, I'm quite excited about the direction that Fujifilm is heading the with X series cameras. I think that they're doing everything right. They're building a camera that photographers will enjoy using and are continually listening to customer feedback and making changes for the better. Fuji is also very open about what they have in the works. They have their lens roadmap available and are sharing any changes they're making in the process. Because of this, I've felt very comfortable buying into the Fuji X system. We're already seen some big improvements with the Fuji X100s and I hope to see even more when the next versions of the Fujifilm X-Pro1 and X-E1 come out.

I hope you guys enjoyed this review. Like I said in the beginning, this is my first real camera review so if you have any suggestions, leave a comment. If you liked it, I'd appreciate it if you'd also let me know. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

6 comments:

  1. This review was awesome! Super thorough, concise and informative! I loved the sample images too. I have a 5D3 and am getting a little tired of its bulkiness and would enjoy a compact system like this. What would you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a tough one. I don't think you'll be happy moving from a Mark III to the X-E1. I think that the EVF and the not so fast AF will bother you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] had my Fujifilm X-E1 for about a month now and I’ve really had a wonderful time shooting with it. Yesterday, [...]

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] had my Fujifilm X-E1 for about a month now and I’ve really had a wonderful time shooting with it. Yesterday, [...]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice review. I hesitated between the Canon 6D + 24-70 and X-E1. Ended up with the X-E1 for the form factor, the unobtrusiveness, the fact that I am not the guy with this big camera anymore (coming from 5DII) but rather the guy who enjoys taking moments of life. (sorry for my english)

    ReplyDelete
  6. [...] in my photography is going to be. I gave the Fuji X-E1 a lovely review, which you can read over here, but it wasn’t doing everything that I wanted from a camera. As a college student, I [...]

    ReplyDelete