March 19, 2013

My Fujifilm X-Pro2, X-E2 Wish List


I've had the Fujifilm X-E1 for a little over a week now and thought I love the Fuji X system, there are things that I'm not 100% happy with and would like to see an improvement to in their next iterations. Here is my Fuji X-Pro2 and X-E2 wish list.

Phase Detection Autofocus on the Fujifilm X-Pro2 and X-E2

With the announcement of the Fujifilm X100s, we are finally getting phase detection autofocus on Fuji X bodies. The X100s is said to be the fastest Fuji X camera to date. I'm sure that the next camera in the Fuji X-Pro series will definitely be getting phase detection, but it would be awesome to see it implemented better than that of the Fuji X100s. At the moment, the Fuji X100s only have phase detect autofocus built into the sensor on only the center autofocus point. Having phase detection built into more focus point would take the Fuji X-Pro series to the next level and bring it closer to matching semi-pro DSLR cameras.

20-24 Megapixels on the Fuji X-Pro2 and X-E2

I'm happy with the 16 megapixels of the Fuji X-E1 but having come from the Canon 5D Mark II, I miss those extra pixels and the flexibility that comes with having them. If Fuji can up their megapixel count without sacrificing dynamic range and high ISO performance, I'll be a very happy man.

More Responsive Electronic Viewfinder on the Fuji X-Pro2 and X-E2

The Electronic viewfinder on the Fuji X-Pro1 is good as it is, and it is even better on the Fuji X-E1. Despite the already outstanding technology that is put into the electronic viewfinder technology, it hasn't come close to matching the experience of shooting with an optical viewfinder. I'm happy with the X-E1 EVF, but any improvement on the technology behind it will be a plus.

Bigger Battery on the Fuji X-Pro2 and X-E2

The Fuji X-Pro1 and X-E1 share the same battery and to tell you the truth, it's not that great. I'd love to be able to squeeze in 1000 shots even while using the EVF. Having to change my battery after 300-400 shots is not acceptable in my book so please, please, please, Fuji, make a longer lasting battery for your Fuji X series cameras. Either that or find a way to make the EVF consume less power.

Full Manual Movie Mode on the Fuji X-Pro2 and X-E2

The movie/video mode on the Fuji X-Pro1 and X-E1 aren't as bad as people make it out to be but it could use some improvements. I'd love to see a full manual video option on the Fuji X-Pro2 and X-E2. I'd like to be able to change the shutter speed and ISO to anything that I want. Right now, the camera chooses the ISO and shutter speed for you. I'd also like to be able to change the aperture while I'm recording a video. These are minor things, which I think are all software based, that would make the Fuji X-Pro2 and X-E2 killer cameras for video work.

Those are the things that I wish to see on the Fuji X-Pro2 and X-E2. What are the things that you're hoping to see on the next Fuji X series cameras?

6 comments:

  1. [...] is a continuation of my previous Fuji X-Pro2 and X-E2 wish list post. I’m continually thinking of more things to add to my wish list for the next Fuji cameras as [...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me it MUST have adjustable shutter speeds in auto ASA mode. These could be presented as a factor of the focal length, e.g. 2x, 3x, 4x & 5x of as shutter speeds just like they used to on the S5 and the x100. Removing this option on the X-pro 1 was an act of utter stupidity which amazes me, as apart from this the camera is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a nice list of possible improvements for the next generation of Fuji camera bodies.
    I would add two things, which I think can be easily modified with firmware:
    - drop the naming convention for series of images
    - change the in-camera Raw processing to make it easier to process several images at once

    ReplyDelete
  4. A better internal EVF, finally add a credible pro flash system to the X-range accessories, shutter sync speed at least 1/250, a solid and immediate support of the new camera & sensor in LR, Aperture, C1,... (don't play the same game as with X-Pro1, Fujifilm, anticipate in advance!), an electronic shutter release and last but not least, a scratch-free back LCD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ability to shoot RAW at ISO 100 and a 1/8000 sec max shutter speed please.

    ReplyDelete
  6. [...] on the things that I want to see on the next generation of Fuji X cameras. You can read them here (Part 1), here (Part 2) and here (Part [...]

    ReplyDelete